I hang onto my fat clothes and skinny clothes, out-of-style clothes that might come back around, and clothes so trendy I don't have the nerve to wear them. Then there are the piles of clothes I've tried on throughout the week and changed my mind about wearing, but didn't hang back up.
And my shoe issue is out of control. I keep way too many uncomfortable-but-cute shoes that just might be perfect with that one certain outfit, otherwise I'm not wearing them but I'd better keep them anyway just in case. I have over fifty pairs of shoes and I am not kidding. And surely you don't think they're neatly organized on shoe racks, or lined up in a row on the floor. No.
And then there are boxes and bags and bins and all kinds of other miscellaneous containers full of junk, because after all, I have a large master closet and it's just a good place to stash all the things I don't know what else to do with.
I have friends who are disciplined with their wardrobes. If they don't wear it within a year, it's gone. If they buy anything new to wear, they remove the equivalent from their current wardrobe. Some of them just don't buy it in the first place, which is the smartest way to go.
It's time to let go, time to pass things on to someone who can use them. Sometimes I watch those hoarding shows and I can't imagine things getting that bad. Yet I see in myself some of the same tendencies, even if on a much smaller scale.
So I don't have any organizational wisdom to share because I'm just not gifted that way. For me, it's all about detaching from material possessions and exhibiting a little self-control (so as not to buy things I don't need in the first place), generosity (giving it away so that others who do need it can have it), and discipline to stay on top of the mess (instead of leaving it to deal with later).
But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? 1 John 3:17















9 comments:
You are funny! Thanks for your honesty! Isn't keeping a closet tidy overwhelming most days?? I'll send my 11 year old your way - her bedroom/bathroom is the cleanest, most organized room in our house :0) She has a gift I employ often!
Have a blessed day!!!
What a blessing to have a daughter like that! My 11-year-old daughter is also a wonderful organizer. However, she just isn't diligent about keeping it that way. Every now and then she'll come into my closet and line my shoes up on the floor ... but they don't stay that way for long. I'm terrible!
Oh Amy!
My own closet is just the same. I have stacks and then more stacks. It depresses me and reminds me that I'm walking a thin line to hoarding myself!
You and I both need......H E L P !!!
PS
I envy those organized & tidy people! Can't trust em!
Haha! I think people with an organized closet must not lose and gain weight as much as I do!
I'm trying to be more disciplined with buying and aquiring stuff (maybe it'll make it easier to keep it organized? :)
Oh, I think so. The root of my problem is having way, way too much stuff.
HAHA!! Great morning fun and I can see you laying in your closet floor on a pile of laundry almost like they are fall leaves! I am OCD in everything. I am joining in on the 31 days fun. After reading this I should have chose 31 days of letting it go. I am so controlling and try to have such a clean house that it stresses me out. We should trade closets for a day! I need to allow a few things to get hung in the wrong area and you could see how much time it takes to keep it all in the right spot....I found one great answer...We have moved three times this year. We made donations each time and my closet has never looked better!!! Now if I can just finish having babies so I can stick to 1 size range!!!
I think you've been peeking into my closet. And I did move, last year, and still have boxes to be unpacked. I think it's time to purge again.
LOL! I keep finding things we have in common:)
Post a Comment