I've been writing about my battles for twenty-three days straight, and I'm feeling the burn. So for this post I think I'll rehash a battle or two. I did something over the weekend that I thought would make me cry but didn't.
Did I mention I turned forty on Saturday? {Goodness, it's still hard to see it in print.} I wouldn't let anyone make me a cake since we've been trying to eat well, but everyone showered me with lots of surprises and attention so I was fine with the no-cake thing.
Until Saturday evening, when I had myself a pity party. It had been a quiet day at home (which I loved), but in the early evening hours I got a little lonely. Everyone ended up being either sick or busy so I knew I wouldn't be going out like I'd planned, and I decided I wanted a bite of cake for my fortieth birthday after all.
But I wanted to stay on my diet, and also I feared going out alone would be too depressing. But since I'm forty now and all grown up, I decided that what the heck, I'd just go out anyway. So I headed to a vegan restaurant in Ft. Worth I've been wanting to try. Plus, I knew they would have cake because it's also a bakery.
I felt kind of proud of myself going in there alone. And to my surprise, I actually had fun! The waitstaff is friendly and quirky and interesting, and my waiter's name was Baggins. He educated me on the menu and made some recommendations and made a big deal about my birthday and all.
I had the spiral burger and and chips and salsa and nacho cheese (except it's not really cheese but cashew-based and you can't believe how good it was). It was all just delicious!
Baggins filled me in on dessert choices, I decided on a chocolate-raspberry cake ball and a peanut butter cup. I learned that I could totally be a vegan and still satisfy my chocoholic cravings.
And here I am with my fortieth birthday cake ball (pic courtesy of Baggins). Time to stuff it in!
YUM! I feel like I've been initiated into a new club or something. An over-40 club, and also maybe a club of "single people who have the guts to dine out alone".
So, in this post, I actually conquered three battles. I turned forty without a freak-out, I embraced my singleness and dined out alone, and I did it all with messy-but-not-frizzy hair. :)
So, in this post, I actually conquered three battles. I turned forty without a freak-out, I embraced my singleness and dined out alone, and I did it all with messy-but-not-frizzy hair. :)
242. a crazy-long Sunday afternoon nap
243. red beans and rice in a crock pot
244. my new bedroom rearrangement
245. my cross wall
246. they had a fun sleepover
247. and while they were here, they moved my treadmill upstairs
248. which I prayed might somehow be accomplished (thank You, Lord)
249. even cooler mornings
250. a dozen roses
251. enough Amazon gift cards for a Kindle Fire
252. a zillion Facebook birthday wishes
253. hilarious birthday cards
254. sweet kids who know how to help me have a really good day
255. a thousand balloons in my office
256. quiet Saturdays
257. The Spiral Diner and Bakery of Fort Worth, Texas
257. The Spiral Diner and Bakery of Fort Worth, Texas















34 comments:
Turning 40 isn't so bad. My mother-in-law, who is the reason behind my blog title, got breast cancer at 54 and died at 59....so now I always think that I have to appreciate every minute of my life...even the bad stuff, because at least I'm here.
Good for you for creating your own birthday celebration! (if I lived in the same country, I'd have been happy to have accompanied you!)
Happy 40th!
I absolutely LOVE your philosophy about using the good dishes. What truth, because as you've shared, we never know how much time we'll have here on earth. Sometimes it takes witnessing a premature death to drive that point home to us.
Wish you could've come along. I would've been glad to have you! :)
You are such a hoot!!! I was going to say what ca_powell said! I would have joined you and I am not vegan but that burger looked so awesome!!! Congrats on sticking to a healthier lifestyle!! And I hope 40 surprised you!!!!
That is awesome Amy! Happy Birthday! Love that you have a cross wall... so do I. Balloons in your office is so fun! I also love quiet weekends. We all need them from time to time! :)
Happy Birthday Amy!! Welcome to the 40 club, which I joined last February...have a blessed day!
Wonderful way to embrace your 40th!
Happiest Birthday to you!! Forty isn't so bad, been there two years already and love almost every bit of it!
I just discovered you blog, love it. And this post was so well written I felt like I was right at the table with you. Thanks for sharing...
Happy, Happy belated birthday from a gal not too far behind you. Inspired to read God's grace all over your list.
By His Grace,
Lisa
www.moretobe.com
Loved this post. Happy Birthday, a little late. I know that struggle of dining alone, I remember all too well many nights while I was single eating alone, well just me and the Lord. I am so happy for you that you did it and that you had a good time!!! Thank the LORD! Cute glasses by the way, they are a bit like mine!
CA beat me to my comment, "Good for you!" I've traveled some of the same path as you, and learned, too, to get myself out to eat alone and don't flinch---and to trust my Maker as my Husband, and to find Him never failing, and to rise above the feeling that I must be wearing a big scarlet D. Lately I've been following your blog post battles and thought, whew! one of them's enough... at a time. Wondered if you might burn out! So glad you gave yourself a break and took yourself out. And isn't it interesting: that's when the victories came!
BTW, I'm enough years older than you that I don't tell on my blog. I just want to say, some things do just get better.
Happy birthday, and good for you!
Happybirthday. My wife turned 60 on the same day as you turned 40.
Sweet! (no pun intended...) Happy 40th!
Happy 40th! And good for you for going out alone!!
joy & blessings,
Alida
Thank you, Alida:))
Very sweet! Thank you!
You mean your wife and I are birthday twins? Praying she feels better soon! Terrible to be sick on your birthday!
Thanks, Amy. :)
Oh, you definitely get it. I tend to wear that scarlet "D" even when others aren't even requiring me to. I want to know your blog address!
Thank you, Theresa. Glad to know you understand. And you're right ... "just me and the Lord". We forget that we really aren't ever alone. Cute glasses, too! Blessings:)
Thank you, Lisa! Enjoy your last years of your 30s!
Thank you so much. So glad to have you along for the ride:)
That's what everyone keeps telling me! That my life has really only just begun. I'd like to think I'm at least a little wiser than I used to be, so I'm trying to forge ahead with gladness and a good attitude. May as well try to enjoy it.
Thank you, Barbie!
Glad to know you're also a club member. Thank you!!
Thanks, Jennifer!
Thank you, Brandy! I'm not a vegan, either, but you really just can't believe how good that food is! Of course, it wouldn't be that good if I were cooking it. Still, it was a fun night out and I can't wait to go back. May as well live it up. :) <3
oh, sweet Amy, i am crying. this really touched me. i do not know what it feels like to do what you did. but my heart is with you, friend. i am so proud of you for going out alone and enjoying yourself! i laughed all the way through...thanks to your clever writing...so thanks for the laughs tonight--they were much needed. you are so beautiful, inside and out, and you do NOT look anything near forty! i loved your list...sweet children who know how to make your day enjoyable...that says so many things...speaks of the good job you've done raising them, of the kind of mother you are, and the relationship you have with them...i really liked that one. i also liked "a thousand balloons in my office" and "turning 40 wasn't as hard as i thought it would be. Amen." i really enjoyed reading this...i laughed out loud at the part where you talk about conquering THREE battles in one!! thanks so much for sharing this! and again, without trying to sound condescending, i mean it with the utmost sincerity, im proud of you! and im so glad you had a good time. happy birthday!
blessings in His grace,
Nacole
Yeah, I get it! Blog address: sylvrpen.com
I have some non-recent posts you might find interesting, starting with this one:
http://sylvrpen.com/2011/01/trouble-time-provisions/
(They could use some tweaking, but anyhow...)
You're in my prayers. God's best to you!
Thank you! Will check them out.
Nacole, what a sweet, sweet comment. I'm glad this made you laugh. You definitely made me smile, too (well, and get a little teary all at the same time!). Thank you for your words. Love.
Happy belated birthday! I recently turned 40 as well, and I'm still not used to it. Wow, who knew being a vegan didn't have to be bland and boring! Congrats on reaching a milestone in life with a smile on your face! God bless!
Thank you, Kimberly. :) You surely don't look forty! I think telling my age will catch in my throat for quite some time. Blessings to you.
Post a Comment