I know the author's point is going to be how important it is to observe the Sabbath. How much we need the Sabbath. But it's hard to schedule an entire day just for rest and pleasure when for us Sundays are one of the busiest days of the week. And even though the Sabbath doesn't have to be on Sunday, the only other option for me is Saturday--my day to run all the errands and do all the chores I didn't get to during the week.
What does it really mean to rest in God, anyway? I'm in such a rush all the time, I don't think I even know how to relax anymore. And this constant rushing conditions the mind against rest, like it's a bad thing. We lie around and feel lazy for doing so. We can't turn our minds off to the things that need doing. Somehow, we just can't be still. But then there's that scripture.
Be still, and know that I am God. It's almost audible, the way He speaks it to me, and I realize I need Him to show me how.
You commanded us to remember the Sabbath, Lord, so help me to get still before You. Help me lay aside all my endeavors and pursue the things that bring peace and joy and fellowship to our home and family, at least for one day. As I worship You this day, please teach me about Your rest.
I really must read that book.
















5 comments:
So, so true...it seems that when we don't rest on the Sabbath it is usually when we needed it the most. I think the Lord knew that. By the time we reach the age where resting comes easy we won't need it as much...LOL Learning to rest in Him is also an issue of the heart...but learning to be still will bring in that rest.
I need to learn to be still and rest in Him.
In this season of my life, I find myself working weekends. 12 hours both days. It's been hard for me the past 6 months because I absolutely LOVE my church and the worship there was the one place I was guaranteed that God would show up and meet me 95% of the time. Over these past few months, my soul's been aching for that time again. The past few weeks I've been embracing a new Sabbath in my life, for me, Monday's have become that day. They are typically the least busy, most relaxing day. Mondays are the day that I can sit back, relax, soak in God's word and rejuvenate myself for the week ahead. The one thing I haven't figured out quite yet is how to get a similar worship experience.
Amy,
I long to find that rest too. Oh, in a big time way, my friend. Sometimes I think I've raced for so long that I don't know how to stop when I get the time.
Howdy, Amy. Key passages to find the fullness of Sabbath:
Matthew 11:28-30
Colossians 2:16-17
Blessings as you rest in Christ. It is no longer burden of “keeping days” but of resting and rejoicing in Christ. It is the difference between law (under which perfection is never achieved) and Gospel (in which Christ has accomplished it all perfectly for us).
Thank you so much for these scriptures and your words, which have both been very helpful. I love Matthew 11:28-30. It's so nice having a pastor comment!
Post a Comment