I read the story over a year ago, but last weekend I finally saw Hollywood's rendition of The Help. What a wonderful, yet shocking depiction of 1960s American society.For me one of the most heartbreaking scenes was when Skeeter's mother, Charlotte Phelan, fired their family's beloved maid Constantine right in the middle of entertaining luncheon guests. The hostess was embarrassed because her maid's gutsy daughter happened to visit at the wrong time and insisted on coming in through the front door rather than the back.
I cringed as the horrified members of that snobbish circle pressured Mrs. Phelan to "handle" her help appropriately. I clenched my jaw as she considered the unthinkable, and I silently plead with her not to throw the poor woman out.
Then I grieved watching the heartbroken old Constantine make her way out of that home for the last time, betrayed and rejected by the family she'd served so faithfully for decades. I hated Mrs. Phelan for succumbing to the pressure of those cruel and heartless people whose opinions shouldn't have mattered but did.
But then I thought about how many times I've done much the same thing. Just as Mrs. Phelan chose pleasing her snobbish guests over doing what was right, I often fight to ignore that still small Voice in an effort to please those around me. It's never easy to make the wrong choice, but sometimes I do anyway. How messed up is that?
May we all have the guts to take a stand for what's right, no matter who will hear it or how much they might disagree. And regardless of the pressure we feel from those around us, may we never, ever forsake our desire to please Him above anyone else.
Then I grieved watching the heartbroken old Constantine make her way out of that home for the last time, betrayed and rejected by the family she'd served so faithfully for decades. I hated Mrs. Phelan for succumbing to the pressure of those cruel and heartless people whose opinions shouldn't have mattered but did.
But then I thought about how many times I've done much the same thing. Just as Mrs. Phelan chose pleasing her snobbish guests over doing what was right, I often fight to ignore that still small Voice in an effort to please those around me. It's never easy to make the wrong choice, but sometimes I do anyway. How messed up is that?
May we all have the guts to take a stand for what's right, no matter who will hear it or how much they might disagree. And regardless of the pressure we feel from those around us, may we never, ever forsake our desire to please Him above anyone else.
Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10Stockett, Kathryn. The Help. New York: Putnam, 2009.
















8 comments:
So true. Thanks for the reminder with such a convicting illustration.
Right on target. I know that I have struggled with this issue for most of my life, trying to please my father (even now, 20 years after he died I find this behind some of my motives). As a pastor, this is a constant challenge: to be firm but work with people, while not bending to please some one or some group.
I haven't seen the movie, but read the book....and your message was true throughout the book, as it is also through our lives. I pray that I too will not be so man-pleasing and be God-pleasing instead.
I read the book but haven't seen the movie yet...I can only imagine how that scene played out on the screen. Your post is powerful and inspirational and has convicted me of the importance of speaking out when needed. Thank you!
So true ...fear of rejection leads us to our own "reasoned rejections" of things that are really important. Fear is a bluff that we have to confront with reality and then watch it dissapate into freedom.
Love love love that verse. I've actually taken it as my theme verse for my life. Totally understand this struggle though!
I've seen the movie 4 times but have yet to read the book! I want to be a God pleaser!
I found you through Internet Cafe (and I love it!) and want to invite you to link up for Brag on God Friday. Seems right up your alley.
Post a Comment