So I turned my eyes to the flowers on the casket and tuned in to the preacher's words. This time it was my uncle who'd gone to Heaven, his departure only four weeks after our last big loss. The one that shattered our home and ripped me in half.
The preacher droned on. "Until He comes again, death is our only exit from this life...." I didn't want to listen to the words I so desperately needed to hear. Being at a funeral again this soon was killing me and I just wanted to get out of there. So I looked away from all those infuriating couples, away from the casket, and toward the fresh mound of dirt only a few footsteps away. The urge to scream vanished as waves of grief overcame me. How can the broken pieces of a soul keep on shattering? But sometimes they can.
All these women have their husbands by their side and mine is under that pile of dirt. As the preacher wrapped things up, the mound beckoned me. When I reached it I fell to my knees and rested my hands on the dirt, the anger rising up again. How could you do this to me? You should be here with the kids and me, not down there. We need you. But the closest I could get to him was a handful of dirt.
So I cursed my circumstances and squeezed that dry, dusty dirt in my furious fist and watched it fall through my fingers to the ground. Again I fought the urge to scream because how rotten is it to hold a handful of worthless dirt instead of the thing you really want?
But oh how much like that dirt are the things we treasure in this life. The more tightly we clench them, the more easily they slip away. So I knelt there longing to touch the one who'd left me, despising my fistful of stupid sorry dirt, knowing my yearnings were futile because none of it would bring him back.
How much more easily I could've borne it all if only I'd known the seeds God would sow in that ugly-brown mound of dirt. If only I'd realized the amazing things He can do through heart-wrenching circumstances like mine. If only I'd understood that losing this love would drive me to my one True Love and into the deepest love relationship of my life.
When my babies were little my Granny used to tell me kids need a certain amount of dirt to be healthy. She was probably right, but now I'd take it a little farther than that. Today I'd say that sometimes the dirt is what keeps us alive.
Even still, God is using that wretched mound of dirt to sow into me the seeds of love and mercy and healing, and to root me firmly in Him. To feed me, grow me, prune me, and transform me into someone who's finally starting to get it, someone who is living the abundance of life in Christ. The growing pains have been more agonizing than I can articulate, yet more life-giving than I ever dreamed.
I'll never stop thanking God for all He's done in me and for the new life He's given me. And to think it all begin with a wretched pile of dirt.
161. the life-giving seeds He sows in our hearts
162. awesome worship this weekend
163. good times with great friends
164. godly wisdom imparted to me by those I respect
165. the Holy Spirit's leading
166. birthday camp-out in the back yard was a success
168. Discount Tire Company
169. tears shed during communion yesterday morning
170. how much fun his gigs are
171. and I didn't forget my phone this time
172. the busy (but fun!) week of classes ahead
173. he's fifteen now and I love every single day I've had with him
174. redneck camping lights
175. party food (despite the next morning's food hangover)
176. I got this week's classwork done in one sitting
177. dogs. I just love 'em!
178. my dream come true of having a home filled with music
179. his beautiful songs and the way they make me cry
180. the puppy chewed a hole in the carpet and now I can't find it.:) Amen.
















26 comments:
Much love for you and yours, Amy. Thank you for continuing to share your beautiful heart!
Wow. Just wow. Joy and sorrow have been on my heart so much lately. Thank you for sharing this.
Amy - Your words refresh my soul this Monday Morning! Thank you so much for being obedient to the calling God has given you!
Blessings!
What a lovely post this morning, Amy. I really enjoyed your list, too.
Thank you for sharing...
Visiting from Multitudes on Mondays...
your clinging to Him in dark days is a beautiful testimony. thank you for pointing us to Him. blessings, from Uganda!
Sharing your life in this way is a testimony to others who read it. It was a blessing to me to read. Thanks so much for sharing your heart. Blessings!
I love your heart. Thank you for your transparency, your inspiration, and your friendship. You are a living testimony, dear friend. Many blessings...
"The more tightly we clench them, the more easily they slip away."
I needed to hear this one sentence today! Thank you for sharing your heart.
Yours is a beautiful heart. Thank you for sharing your struggles, your sorrows, your joys.
I wish that I knew you well enough to offer the simple squeeze of a hand that reassures...
I visited for the first time today, but I will definitely be back.
Thank you for your transparent life.
"The growing pains have been more agonizing than I can articulate, yet more life-giving than I ever dreamed." Wow! Thank you for your words today - they have both stirred me and inspired me. What a beautiful heart you have!
Oh bless your heart. Counting the gifts in the most difficult moments. That is so inspiring to hear. A birthday camp-out in the back yard sounds like so much fun! A home filled with music is a wonderful gift. Thank you for sharing!
Your words...I just have no words...so moving and powerful and beautiful. Thank you thank you for your raw transparency and authenticity and for sharing the deepest parts of your heart. May you continue to sense His magnificent companionship and love. You have inspired me this day, my friend...blessings to you!
Thank you, Jacque! And I absolutely love your blog title. His mercy ... what else can I say?
Thank you, Jamie!
Yes, counting the gifts, and they are countless. Thank you for stopping by!
Thank you, Meredith. I'm honored to have you! Blessings to you.
Thank you, Barbie. And yours is also beautiful.
So honored to have you stop by!
Thank you, Jace. I treasure our friendship.:)
Thank you for stopping by, Christina! Blessings to you.
Wow, saying a prayer right now for friends in Uganda!
Thank you for coming by, Stefanie!
Thank you, Amy:)
Isn't life always just a mingling of joy and sorrow. Praise God, He remains the same through it all. Blessings!
Thank you, Shaye. Miss you!
Post a Comment