home about faith links contact me

Friday, September 30, 2011

5-minute Friday: "Friends"

GO.
A friend is someone who, when she comes over for supper, you don't feel the need to pick the crumbs out of your butter first. You don't rush to scrub your bathrooms, you don't do your kids' hair, you don't even pick the clothes up out of the floor because the last time you were at her house it was so messy you couldn't believe it and when you saw it you just smiled to yourself and whispered Thank You, Lord.

A friend is thrilled for you when something good happens. She might wish it for herself too, and she even might be a little jealous but prays herself through it. But even more than that, she prays you through it.

She doesn't demand all your time. Yet when your life falls apart, she's there in a flash. When you mess up and things are all out of whack, she's there. And she doesn't judge but instead comes clean about what she's thinking. And still you don't feel condemned because she knows your heart even when it seems no one else does. She does the one thing you need the most. She points you toward Jesus.

A good friend loves at all times--loves you, loves your kids, loves your man, loves your parents. She even loves your dogs. Lord, may I be that kind of friend.
STOP.


* Linking up with Lisa-Jo over at The Gypsy Mama today. Happy Friday!

24 comments:

Kim Hall said...

I love your testimony to friendship, especially the part about seeing your friend's house messy. Made me laugh, but nod in sympathy as well.
Thanks for the reminder-"Lord, let me be that kind of friend as well." Amen to that!

BlessedStillness said...

You are that kind of friend, and I love you for it.

Jenifer said...

I love your post on friends. And your very first line made me smile, the crumbs in the butter. So true! :)

mary kathryn tyson said...

my goodness, let me be that kind of friend, too! :)

so good and so true. love this, amy.

xo

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Thank you:) Happy Friday to you!

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Right back at you:)

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

It was several years into my adulthood before I figured out that everyone has crumbs in their butter. And if they don't, they probably wouldn't enjoy being at my house anyway!

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

It's no fun having someone over when you have to keep wondering what they're thinking!

Tracey Padgett said...

Amy, this is beautiful....thank you for these words. Precious words....I love them....I'm in tears because they so perfectly describe true friendship. I'm going to send this to my sweet girlfriends. I'm so thankful to have friendships like the ones you described here. Thank you Lord for these women that you placed in my path including Amy in my online path.

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Tracey, tears ... Thank you for your words, too, and for your friendship.

Kerri Smith said...

wow....what beautiful words!! THAT is the friend I want to be!!

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Me, too, Kerri!! It's a true blessing when we have someone like this in our lives.

Amy said...

I love this post. These are exactly the kinds of friends I treasure most and it's the kind of friend I want to be, too. Love your blog!

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Thank you, Amy. So glad you stopped by!

Stacy said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with crumbs in my butter and clothes on the floor. Thanks for keeping it real Amy! Good post.

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one, either!! Thanks for stopping in, Stacy.

Kim I said...

Oh, my. What a nice post and boy did you hit he nail on the head! I love the part about crumbs in the butter!

I just recently found your blog and am blessed to have done so. Your writing seems so sincere and I love your perspective - thank you!

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Kim, thank you! I'm so glad you found me, too. So glad to be friends:)

Amy Sullivan said...

True, true, true. This made me miss a few of my far away friends...

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

I know what you mean. Forever friends are hard to come by, and it can be heartbreaking sometimes to have to live far away from them.

Kim I said...

I wish you lived closer. I'd love to meet you for a cup of coffee and get to really know you1 :0)

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

I know! I'd love that. That's the problem with making online friends ... it's kinda sad when you find out how far away they live sometimes. :(

Kim I said...

Thank you for your kind word over at Something Beautiful. They are lo appreciated. I'm somewhat new to the blogging thing and have MUCH to learn! I am a girl who has no business with a calling that has anything to do with technology, but the Lord has lead me here to make His name great, and I'm giving it my best shot. Thanks for stopping by.

thegypsymama said...

Is it weird how comforting I found it to hear that other people also have crumbs in their butter? :)