home about faith links contact me

Friday, October 21, 2011

31 Days: #21 Trash-talk

We were in a really bad car accident a few years ago. A drunk driver broadsided us and flipped us on our side and totaled my Tahoe. Eight of us were in the vehicle, but only one of the kids was taken by ambulance then released the same night.

So we all walked away with a few bruises, a couple of seatbelt burns, a little glass in one arm, two non-concussion head bumps, and lots of soreness. But no one died, and it was a miracle.

I was recounting the events to a friend a few days later and I said, "I saw that truck coming toward us and there was nothing we could do so I just said 'Lord, please protect us.'"

But my son heard me telling the story and goes, "No you didn't, Mama. You said 'Crap!'"

Oops.

I guess it could've been worse, but still. It's interesting what I actually said vs. what I thought I said. Or what I wish I'd said. I want to be known for calling upon God in those kinds of moments. Not uttering crude, pointless words.

Taming my tongue is an old battle of mine, not only in the context of speaking hurtful words, but also in uttering profanities that happen to slip out before something more constructive has a chance to. I have a feeling there's more trash-talk coming out of my mouth than I realize, especially in times of extreme emotion. Just the thought of that bothers me because I know it only takes mere seconds of a poor witness to ruin our testimony.

The only way I know to control this tongue of mine is to let Him control it. So I invite Him to do just that as I determine to forsake idle talk and seek to please Him in every word I utter.
But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth. Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him. Colossians 3:8-10

*This post is part of a series running through the month of October 2011. Read from the beginning here.  Find the other 31-Dayers here.

3 comments:

Alene Snodgrass said...

Great post. I remember those days when my kids made me see every flaw I had. I sure grew a lot and taming the tongue was one huge battle for me. Still is on some days! Thanks for the reminder to draw my tongue in again. Blessings friend.

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Haha! Kids! We can always count on having them point out our flaws (often in front of others). Have a great weekend. :)

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Haha! Kids! We can always count on having them point out our flaws (often in front of others). Have a great weekend. :)