home about faith links contact me

Saturday, October 22, 2011

31 Days: #22 Bemoaning my age

I had a freak-out moment on my thirtieth birthday, and it was all because I happened to look at a teenager's hands up beside my own and I realized how much I'd aged. I went straight to Walmart and bought anti-wrinkle cream (but for my hands only because I didn't care about my face yet). Since that was such a hard birthday, I figured there would never be another one like it. But I was wrong. Another difficult birthday has come, and I've been wallowing a little.

Okay, a lot. This birthday is way worse than thirty. This birthday means that half my life is over--or the good half, anyway. And if that was the good half, I'm not very excited about what comes next.

My problem is, I tend to fall into the trap of believing the enemy's lies that I've already lived my life, that I've spent all my chances, that this is all there is. And what a deceptive foe he is, because despite how I'm feeling right now, I know Grace and I know Him well. I know He's the God of endless chances, and I know that with Him the best is yet to be. So I choose even in my faintheartedness to believe what I know.

Today I am forty. I'm astounded just seeing the words in print. Just yesterday my mom was getting black balloons sent to her for her fortieth birthday, and now it's my turn.

Forty years in the wilderness, and I'm tired of wandering. I'm weary of wasting time. But no matter how many years we've squandered away, the good news is that the day we start anew with Him is the first day of the rest of our eternal lives. The time we've lost amounts to nothing in the scope of an eternity spent with Him.

I look at elderly women sometimes who have been walking with the Lord for most of their lives, and I think to myself, I want that to be me. Today brings me one day closer than yesterday. So here's to the next forty years. No more wandering for me, and I am thankful.
Your sun shall no longer go down, nor shall your moon withdraw itself. For the Lord will be your everlasting light, and the days of your mourning shall be ended. Isaiah 60:20

*This post is part of a series running through the month of October 2011. Read from the beginning here.  Find the other 31-Dayers here.

8 comments:

Rich Shields said...

Happy birthday, kid! I can relate. I remember my 40th, and the congregations I was serving at the time had a surprise party for me, black balloons and all. Now our older son turned 40 two years ago, and our baby will turn 40 in 11 months. I can’t be THAT old! Day by day I don’t feel the changes, but backward glances remind of the passing of time. The joy comes from sharing where I am with where others are (five grand kids: 17, 16, 15, 6, 2). Even in the midst of some bad times over the past six decades, God brings to mind the good things he has done (and is doing).

Look on the bright side, Moses wasn’t even called to lead Israel until he was 80 years old. There is time, Amy. :)

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

A very cool thought, not to mention comforting. Thank you, Rich. :)

Stacy said...

Happy Birthday Amy!

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Thank you, Stacy! It's turning out to be a good one. :)

Barbie said...

Happy birthday Amy! I remember the day I turned (5 years ago) and I thought my life was over. I still allow the enemy to tell me that I'm done, washed up, useless, that there will never be anything new again. I know it's all a lie. We have the BEST part of our life yet to live! Praying you have a beautiful day celebrating YOU!

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Thank you, Barbie. Sounds like you know exactly how I've been feeling. We just have to remember to send the enemy packing! Thank you for the sweet birthday wishes:)

juliepellow said...

Amy, a very happy birthday to you!! You are a beautiful person and the Lord has some beautiful years ahead for you... I just know it! Today is a big day! Two of my girlfriends share your birthday as well and one is turning 40. And, maybe if I'm lucky my little one will be born today. I'm due anytime and the doc thought he would be born by now. May you feel His rich blessings in your life!

Amy @ Make me a Mary said...

Thank you, Julie:) I'm praying for you right now, for a safe delivery and a healthy baby. Lord, protect them. This is a beautiful time of year for a birthday--perfect weather (at least where I live). Can't wait to hear your good news!