home about faith links contact me

Friday, October 14, 2011

31 Days: #14 Wretched ingratitude

Like most Americans, I'm at my most thankful in the fall. How can it not be that way, with all the reminders of the approaching holidays? But when I heard Ann Voskamp's message on gratitude this past summer, her words changed me in profound ways. And it was all because she asked a question I can't forget: "How do you open your hand to receive when what God gives doesn't feel like a gift?".

The tears came quickly in that moment as I thought about some of those things in my life that have felt like anything but gifts. I've had quite a few of those (haven't we all?). But then I thought about how faithful He's been in turning those curses into blessings too wonderful for words.

I thought about how fast He moves sometimes, how sometimes He just leaves you stunned and wondering how He did it. But it doesn't really matter how He did it because it's a beautiful thing to simply know He just does it because He can. And because He loves us so. And when I dwell here, I can't keep my thank-Yous inside.

Yet I still have those unbearably hard days when it seems like more than I can do to thank Him. Days when, the ungrateful wretch that I am, I look around and find little to feel thankful for. My lips may form the words, but my heart just won't let me say them because the last thing I feel like doing is counting my blessings.

But I've learned what happens when I will myself to do it anyway. Oh, the Power we have at our fingertips! How profoundly our hearts are changed when we choose in the midst of thanklessness to thank Him anyway!

So I know all this, but why don't I do it?
My prayer is that as the red and yellow and orangey-brown decorations hit the stores, and as these breezy-cool mornings usher in a new Thanksgiving season, we might resolve to live a life of gratitude not just during the holidays, but all year round ...

because the tiny little month of November amounts to not even one drop in the endless ocean of His goodness.
Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

*This post is part of a series running through the month of October 2011. Read from the beginning here.  Find the other 31-Dayers here.