When I'm going through something horrible, it's easy for me to lose weight because I can't eat when I'm upset. But when I'm happy, it's time to pull out the fat clothes. And since I'm pretty happy these days, I'm to the point where I can barely button my very fattest jeans.
We're always on the go and it's way too easy to hit the drive-thrus around town (which we do several times a week). I try not to keep too much junk in my house, but if I gave into temptation I'd load the cupboard up with Ding Dongs, Twinkies, Cheetos, Doritos, every other kind of chip under the sun, every other sweet known to man, and almost all other varieties of junk food. And for meals I would fix nothing but spaghetti, fettucini alfredo, pizza, tacos, mac and cheese, and whatever other full-of-carbs meal you can think of.
So as busy as we are and as much as I crave the wrong foods, then when you throw in my disorganization and poor meal-planning habits, unhealthy eating is a real battle. And it's been heavy on my heart to do better--and to somehow try to undo the damage I've done in not teaching my kids to eat healthier foods. One of them has actually said to me before, "Mom, why do we have to be so healthy around here?!" (What do you do with that?)
I read somewhere recently about a girl who totally gave up sugar. She said she asked the Lord for help and then leaned into Him during times of temptation rather than running toward that which tempted her. So I decided to try the same thing, and this is my new prayer:
Lord, my body is Your temple, so help me treat it as such. Create a desire in me to eat the foods You've given me in their wholest form possible. Please repulse me with the things that are bad for me. Seriously, Lord, make them seem completely gross and disgusting to me. Also, please put a desire in the hearts of my kids to want to eat more healthfully. I don't want them complaining every time I fix a healthy meal.
And you know what? I'm starting to feel differently about what I put into my body. The yucky stuff (even the good-tasting yucky stuff) isn't as appealing to me all of the sudden. In the last week I've crossed paths with three different people who have talked about going all organic and how much healthier it is. They've told stories of unexplained illnesses that disappeared after cutting out all the processed stuff and eating natural foods. Yesterday I had a friend ask me if I've ever eaten an organic apple. I said I hadn't. She said, "If you ever do, you'll never want the other kind again!"
So I went shopping last night, and today I had my first-ever organic apple. And it was delicious. As I was checking out at the store, I added one more line to my prayer: Lord, help me somehow pay for this expensive food. But I have a feeling I'd be able to afford a better diet if I abandoned buying the bad stuff in favor of the good.
And here's the biggest miracle of all. My fifteen-year-old son who's 6'2" and the hungriest in the house (the one who hates being "healthy" all the time), came to me the other day and said he wants to start eating healthier and to please not let him have junk anymore, even if he asks for it. Thank You, Lord.
So these are my guidelines:
- Skip processed foods
- Get enough protein
- Eat as many colors as possible
- Don't overcook the vegetables
- Go organic as much as I can afford (dairy and fruit, at the very least)
- Stick with the true serving sizes
- Buy only all-natural, no hormone meat (I'd love to do wild-caught fish and free-range chicken, but it's crazy-expensive)
- Get out and move more (this could be a post in itself)
{p.s. This is my 100th post!}
















18 comments:
100th post and my favorite! Congrats...I struggled with with growing up and was 215 in college. I dedicated myself to changing that and it took a couple years to lose (75 pound) but has been a lifelong struggle. I have been doing an Atkins version to get off the last 6 pounds after having Haydon. I will say this prayer and when i do I will pray for you as well! Using a journal daily has been the biggest tool! I highly recommend...Good Luck girl...
That's awesome, Brandy. Congratulations on your success--you're an inspiration to me! Thank you for your prayers and also your suggestion to keep a food journal. I'd thought about that, but now I'll do it for sure.
Wow Amy, I think you're my long lost twin! You battle all the same things I do. Food is a serious one at my house with a diabetic husband and three teenage boys. It's really hard to retrain taste buds. I think I'm going to 'borrow' your prayer since it is working for you!
And congratulations on your 100th post!
Thank you, Stacy. Good luck to you! I know it's hard with teenagers in the house, especially if you're like me and didn't teach them to eat all the good stuff when they were little. It's funny how we never think to pray about things like this, and then when we do we're surprised that He answers. :)
Congrats on your 100th post! YAY for you!!! :)
My daughter just got braces, and they told her no sugar, no sodas (sodas are my downfall...and in my neck of the woods we call em all cokes). So anyway, I told her that since she couldn't have this stuff that I would give it up too. And I guess since I feel like I'm doing it for her and not for myself it has made it easier. She has had her braces for a week today and I have had nothing but water (plus two glasses of tea) for a week now. It's gotten easier each day.
And I totally agree with praying about eating healthier. But the thing is that I was praying for help with each new diet I started. They all ended in failure, because I'd give up. So God showed me that when I decided to get serious about it and stop trying fad diets and quick fixes that He'd be there to help me. He showed me that I had to change my way of thinking. I had to make a life change in the way that I took care of myself. I haven't gotten all the kinks worked out, but I'm at least trying to be more aware. I've learned that for me it's not about loosing weight, it's just about being healthy.
Bonus for me...I don't have to pay for organic fish because we get to catch our own (BLESSING)!! Now the chicken...well...we're contemplating raising some. But I'm doing all I can do raising three kids, I don't know if I want to take on chickens! ;)
Sorry for the incredibly long ramble. That just seems to be how my mind is rolling today.
Have a blessed day!
Tracey, we call them all cokes, too:) You must be from the South. My grandparents called them all "sodee-pops". I think you are exactly right in that we must totally change the way we think. So cool that you're giving those things up along with your daughter. When you mentioned chickens I had a momentary lapse of sanity and thought maybe I'd get me some, too. But then I remembered all it takes to raise kids. And besides, I don't think chickens would get along with my dogs too well. That, and there's no way I'm killing a chicken!
Happy 100th post!
We've been doing a lot of these things in our house, and it makes a real difference. I find that fresher, organic (or at least local) food just seems to taste better and I definitely feel healthier.
hey Amy,
always such a joy to be here. i love reading anything you write.
btw, i totally agree with the book thing--i actually had someone tell me that she didn't feel One Thousand Gifts was theologically sound--what a loss for her. i found it to be incredibly life-changing, and i dont need anyone to tell me that it is theologically sound- i KNOW that it is--the things she says are all through the bible. and i believe that gratefulness and thanksgiving and joy is something that older people come to know--it comes with age--experience--comes with suffering--it makes sense that young people or some that are not as mature in their walk with Christ would discount it because it doesnt fall into the neat four sides of their box of theology. i think the same applies to your Harry Potter books.
anyway...i LOVED this post--awesome! i agree with all of your goals--sounds like you have attainable, realistic goals that you will actually be able to reach and sustain for the long run, and not just an overnight fad, like your friend said. this is the lifestyle i have adopted as well, for some years now. but because we are a large family, on one income, i struggle with being able to buy the healthy things and organic things. some weeks we just cant afford a lot of fruit, or vegetables. so some weeks our health has suffered a little and right now, my digestive system is suffering because of it. so, not very encouraged lately over here on this point. i needed to read this today--it made me realize that we are not doing so bad--others are struggling too--and also, it encouraged me to not give up. there is always next week! :)
the only advice i have to add to what your friends said, to help you endure for the long-haul, is to exercise. i have been exercising since i was 14, and it has always helped me to WANT to take care of myself--that is huge! also, at times in my life that ive exercised, i ate healthier, felt better about myself, had a more positive mental outlook, took care of myself, and could accomplish what i needed to do. the seasons that i stopped, were the times i was the most depressed and did not take care of myself. i have struggled with this lately and while i dont do it regularly like i want, consistently making this apart of my life keeps me from sliding all the way down that slippery slope.
i have one question before i end this loooong comment: i want to link up the post im working on to Emily's 31 days--how do i make a button for it?
love and blessings,
Nacole
Wow Amy, you go girl! I'm so proud of you! It's tough to give up the food we love, especially without the Lord's help. I remember when I discovered I had Celiac and had to give up Gluten, i.e bread, pasta etc. and replace it with gluten free substitutes! The first gluten free bread I ever tried tasted like a combination between cardboard and wonder bread. But you know, with the Lord's help and tremendous encouragement from my husband I've managed to have a better attitude and found MUCH better substitutes along the way. That was five years ago!
Incredible (why should we be so surprised) how God is already working in your family. He's so gracious!!
Congrats on your 100th post. That's neat!
Julie :)
I can't wait to start feeling the effects of the changes. I'm hoping and praying I'll notice more energy and less headaches ... and of course less sick germs in the house. :)
Julie, He is SO gracious in providing us the exact help we need in every single area of our lives. I'm so glad you've found peace with your new gluten-free diet. How wonderful to have a supportive husband, as not being blessed in that way can sure make things tricky! Blessings to you:)
Nacole, I just made my {not-very-cute} button in Paintbrush, which is the equivalent of Microsoft's Paint. Then I posted it and linked back to all my 31 Days posts (by clicking on the "31 Days" tag). It's not hard to do at all.
You are 100% right. I need to exercise, and I plan to. For me it all has to do with time management (another battle of mine). But I feel so much better and have so much more energy when I do get exercise. Thank you for this encouragement.
The more expensive food is definitely an obstacle, but Psalm 37 tells us to "feed on His faithfulness", and I can't imagine Him not honoring our desire to eat the way He intended. So I'm going to claim that scripture and forge ahead.
On the books ... you know, any book that's wildly popular will have extremely negative reviews. I expect that. But when Christians have a problem with a book, it always makes me think twice and explore the reasons why. And then most of the time I do a little research and STILL don't understand why. Not that their points aren't valid--I just don't completely understand. We all put God in a box at times, don't we?
I, too, am trying to get on board with getting right about eating habits and moving more. This is my second week on a work out cycle. My friend is getting married this time next year (minus a week) and we both want to lose some weight to look better for the wedding. While neither of our guys would care if we didn't lose a pound, we are doing it for ourselves, to feel better and to have more energy each day. Right now, I've been successful of doing about 4 days a week. Boy do I hear you on the prayer for wanting to be able to afford the more expensive food.
CONGRATS on the 100th post! Recently I've been looking at my post count and noticed I'm getting ever closer to my 100th post mark, and wondering what I'll do for it, if I'll do something special, or if I'll just slyly mention it as you have. :)
I wish I could've worked something more amazing in for my 100th post, but I didn't even realize it until I was about to hit "Publish". I'm sure tons of amazing 100th posts are floating around out there in blog-land. :) Good luck to you in your endeavor to pursue a healthier lifestyle.
Amy,
This is so awesome!
And your son asking for healthy food???
Why don't I think about praying for things like that?
This is so cool!
Meredith, I know!! I don't usually think about it, either! And why not???
congrats on 100 posts! and good for you on making healthy choices... That's awesome. I recently read Made to Crave by Lysa Terkhuerst... it was very inspiring and thought provoking regarding a look at the food we eat
blessings
Thank you! I loved Made to Crave!!
Post a Comment