home about faith links contact me

Friday, August 19, 2011

5-minute Friday: "New"

{Linking up with The Gypsy Mama today. She challenges us to just write for five minutes without worrying whether it's just right or not. You should try it. It's fun!}

GO.

My favorite thing as a little girl was to get something new. New shoes were the best! New clothes were fun, too. And I'm still amazed at how excited I could get over new fingernail polish or pretty new things to wear and to play with.

But as we grow up, so do our desires. Pretty soon it was a new car I wanted. And a new job. A new house would be nice, too. And a new husband. And of course, a new baby (or several new babies).

Then we get the gospel presented to us and we want a new heart. We learn how Jesus can wash our black ones to white with His precious red blood, and it's all too simple to make sense, but we trust anyway and now here we are with a new heart.

And we see Him working in our lives and we begin to yearn for a deeper kind of new, the new of wanting His heart and His mind. Of loving others with His love and thinking His thoughts and responding with His reactions. It's no longer that gotta-have-it wishing for new shoes or new cars or new careers or husbands or babies.

Now we know that every new thing we ever got is only because He gave it to us, and we're blown away to learn that with Him, the new will never grow old because His mercies are new every morning. His grace lets us start over again and again. His love gives us not just a new heart, but a new life.

He alone makes all things new.

STOP.




11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your reminder of every morning new. I so often drag around the old with me instead of embrace new for today. And I guess that's the point of mercy, perpetually new beginnings! Thanks for sharing!

Eileen said...

Very nice. I love how you said this, "It's all too simple to make sense." so true. But, thankful that He makes us new!

Unknown said...

Lovely -- you have explained the life so well. I love how we have the same ending!

BARBIE said...

So true! I love how you write. There are still seasons in my life where I yearn for these things to fill me. But really, all I ever want is Christ. Praying that He continues to refresh and renew our hearts and draw us closer to Him.

Nancy said...

He keeps surprising us with His abundance and bounty in so many ways, doesn't He?

Great post......Your picture of the tap shoes brought back so many memories....I loved my tap shoes....

Have a great weekend..

Anonymous said...

Loved the post. I also loved the "new" format for comments. :) I love the word picture of taking our black (possibly tar-like) hearts and giving them to Christ, then sitting, watching in awe over the simultaneous cleansing our hearts get when we give them to him. Beautiful.

Amy said...

So true. I've been reading a lot about sanctification lately, and this longing for a new heart - for His new heart - is something very much on my mind.

*visiting from Gypsy Mama - I love finding new and wonderful blogs to add to my list of lovely places each Friday. :)

Amy Sullivan said...

Oh, this takes me back to my tap shoes from long ago...sigh.

Gloria said...

I loved the line "And we see Him working in our lives and we begin to yearn for a deeper kind of new, the new of wanting His heart and His mind."

I pray that we all continue to yearn for His heart and His mind.

Be blessed!

Bekah said...

"a deeper kind of new" - loved this line. What a blessing it was reading this today. Thanks!

Charissa Steyn said...

so true.... He makes ALL things new...in Him our desire for the new is completely fulfilled!! Popping over from 5 min. friday ;)