home about faith links contact me

Monday, August 15, 2011

Arms around me

The old me would've fired back immediately. I would've popped off with something clever to say, something just as hurtful. I can get crafty with my words sometimes, and not always in a sweet way.

But I don't want to be that person anymore. I want the heart of Jesus. I want to respond the way He would. My desire is to forego all the good come-backs that pop up in my mind. So I often have to remind myself what Jesus did when others hurt Him.


Jesus did not retaliate. He simply forgave.

I have a new way to cope with the hurt. I try to imagine myself in the arms of Jesus. Big, strong arms that engulf me and soften the blows of life. I wonder what my offenders would think if they realized they were really hurting Jesus instead of me.

My blameless Savior deserves the pain far less than I do. Yet when I hurt, He hurts. He desires to take all my pain and suffering. In fact, He already has. And somehow the miracle of this makes the hurt easier to bear. Not easy, but easier.

It doesn't take long to learn that the deeper we go into the ministry of Christ, the more the enemy messes with us because we are a threat to him. He's the snaky scum behind many of the hurtful situations that come along in life to trip us up. So as his attacks grow more vicious, we should let it encourage us rather than discourage us.

It comforts me to know that no matter what stunts he pulls, no matter who he uses to get to me, he knows he can't really touch me. He knows Whose arms are around me. He knows Whose blood has covered me. He knows Who my Shield is. 


And this victory makes me smile.

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near by the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:13

#76-#100
76. the arms of Jesus
77. victory over the enemy
78. beautiful music
79. seeing raindrops on the window pane ... yes, RAIN, finally!
80. new friends, and the wisdom they bring to our lives
81. old friends, and the wisdom they've brought--and continue to bring--to our lives
82. school clothes shopping is done!
83. the first week back to work is over and done with
84. the yard is greening back up
85. the Holy Spirit's leading
86. reminders to keep my mouth shut
87. cooler weather (even by a few degrees)
88. really good reads
89. he brought me roses just because
90. enough cans in the cupboard to make good soup
91. Sunday afternoon naps
92. swinging on the porch
93. I finally learned how to set the sprinkler system correctly
94. opportunities to work with excellent musicians, and what I have learned from them
95. new blogging friends
96. encouraging comments
97. reminders to overlook mean comments
98. the strength that comes with each new test in life
99. a good milkshake
100. I found {somewhat} cheap gasoline today and filled 'er up. Amen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the challenge in here, to respond as Christ. As it says, "...to live is Christ and to die is gain" ~ Philippians 1:21.

After all, living as Christ includes responding the way he would. What a challenge that's wrapped up in this. I, too, can have many cleaver, sarcastic-with-a-hint-of-truth, snide comment back to someone.

Thanks for something to chew on.

Nancy said...

I love this post....What great advice to picture yourself in the arms of Jesus when someone says something hurtful......He is our protector in all situations, we just have to turn to Him because He is always with us....

Thank you so much for your words to ponder....

Candace Novakowski said...

Beautiful beautiful list. "Jesus didnt retaliate, He simply forgave"... so beautiful.

amanda said...

Glad for your victory this morning. :) It's such an everyday battle. There's nothing natural about dying to self, turning your cheek and putting others first (even when they don't deserve it). But it does seem that my relationship w/ Christ is even sweeter during those time. Thanks for your encouragement :)

Erin said...

Amy,
I love this post. I imagine myself climbing up in His lap when I'm tempted to take offense.
Blessings,
~Erin
www.mynuggetsoftruth.blogspot.com

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh the battle field has been horrible this week...and those come backs, too easily come to mind or the mouth. The enemy has throw everything he can...but the battle belongs to the Lord and He has won the Victory...thanks for this post, I needed it in the heat of the battle.