home about faith links contact me

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Gloria Vanderbilts {be still, my 80s heart}

I wanted them so badly, but my parents thought spending crazy amounts of money on designer brands was ridiculous. I was only in the 7th grade, though, and everyone else had them. Everyone. I was the only uncool kid in the school. I didn't have Calvin Kleins or Jordaches, either, but I was willing to bypass those lesser names in pursuit of the ultimate.

Ah, Gloria Vanderbilt designer jeans. The 1983 edition. I salivated just daydreaming of owning a pair. The little handwriting on the back pocket ... the little duck on the front pocket ... being twins with every other girl in school ... so many beautiful benefits! I knew my life would be complete if I could just have them.

My beloved jeans! 1983
So after I saved my money up for half a lifetime, my mom took me uptown to Ann's Dress Shop to make the purchase of the decade. My patient mother must've been sick watching me spend $40-some-odd dollars on something that ridiculous. I can still see her shaking her head in silence as Ann rung me up and I eagerly unwadded my bills. I couldn't get home fast enough. I needed to get those new jeans on ASAP!

I'm sure I wore them every day for a month. I think the back problems I've had in my adult life originated from those jeans because for days I walked around with my torso twisted so I could stare at the embroidered handwriting on my back pocket. Would you believe someone actually snapped a picture of it? That's me to the right, in my Granny's house with my new jeans on. --->

I wish I could remember how long it took for the new to wear off and the buyer's remorse to settle in. It was a whole lot of money to spend on something so frivolous, especially for a junior high kid.

The Lord showed me even then that possessions can't make us happy. Unfortunately, He has to keep on teaching me the same lesson because even as adults we want what everyone else has. And then each new thing we acquire only fuels a desire for more things. This is why buying superficial things to satisfy the yearning of our hearts never works in the long run. One of my friends never lets herself make even a $50-purchase without thinking it over for a day (and praying about it first). I think it's a practice I need to adopt.

I know the Lord loves to bless us abundantly with things we enjoy. But He also wants us to be good stewards of all He's given us, and He longs for us exercise a little self-control now and then and find our treasure in Him.
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  Matthew 6:19-21
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.  Romans 12:2
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  Matthew 6:33 
For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.  1 John 2:16
By the way, I'm proud to say that today I wouldn't dream of buying my kids a pair of designer jeans. In fact, I despise spending lots of money on apparel of any kind. I have four kids to clothe--sweet, reasonable kids who don't bug me for the equivalent of 1980s Gloria Vanderbilts. We're more just your every-day Target and Old Navy kinda people. :)

9 comments:

Tami Zambrano said...

I remember those jeans too! What a blessing your messages are to me! Even as moms, we need to re-fill and refresh and that's what this does for me! Thank you for helping me to start my day off right with Him!

Anonymous said...

There's something special about a girl and her jeans! (but I'm thankful my children are Target and Old Navy kids too) Silly the things we treasured back then, but if I'm not careful I can still do the same today. Maybe it's not clothes but "things". This a great reminder :)

Gloria said...

Amy,

I also remember those jeans. I had to laugh when I read this post.

What a great reminder that we all have a deep place in our heart that only God can fill. Sadly, many times we try to fill it with other things but nothing... I mean nothing can fill it like our God. That place was created just for HIM.

Thanks for the reminder to pursue what really matters : )

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a family of 5 and always wore hand-me-downs from my older two sisters. I was like you, dying for the latest trends, the ones that would get the kids to stop picking on me and help me fit in with the rest of the kids my age. That, as much as I hoped, didn't happen. The summer after my 3rd grade year I was baptized. I gave my life to Christ, coincidentally enough, my 4th grade year was the WORST of my schooling when it came to the class bullies. It was over the next couple years that my family got really involved with our church. I finally had a home, a place that I could fit in. It was then that I learned that in reality it didn't matter if I had the latest brands, the newest hair do, or liked the popular trends. It was then that I learned that my identity was in Christ and who He made me to be.

Beth in NC said...

Ha! The picture is too cute, but the funny thing is, you had on a LONG shirt covering the writing and the swan. :o)

I never cared about these particular jeans. My "must have" was a "Coca Cola" shirt. Do you remember those? I put one on lay-away at Belks and paid $40. I still have that shirt to remind me.

Thank you for the lesson in what is important.

Amy Lynn said...

Tami--thank you so much for your very kind words! Amanda--about to hit "my stores" this weekend! Ha! Gloria--if you laughed, then I know you understand! We could be so silly back then. Funny how it doesn't seem silly to us now, even when we do the exact same thing. Amy--I relate to a lot of what you went through. I'm so glad you found Christ, and I'm thankful you realized you could find your identity in Him at such an impressionable age. Beth--I'm extremely puzzled by the long shirt. I probably kept it lifted up in the back. That was my beloved Pink Panther shirt. It said "Amy" on the left side of my chest and had Pink Panther on the back. I loved it so much! We weren't as into Coke stuff in my area, but if we had been, I'm sure I would've been dying for one of those, too!

Angela said...

Well, I only paid $35 for mine...and ripped a hole in them the second week I had them! :) For two weeks, I was fulfilled, but I quickly learned the meaning of 2 Cor. 4:18..."while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

Great post!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Oh I am laughing....but I am a few years ahead of you, so when I got a pair of those jeans I was already married...my parents wouldn't have ever bought them and I didn't make enough money...so precious hubby bought them. It was a discussion we had just recently...because I said, "I paid $50 for a pair of jeans when we were first married...now I wear $10 jeans from Wal-mart and about faint to hear my adult children pay in the 100's for jeans."

God has taught me a lot about being a good steward through the years, in contrast to age 19 and a new bride.

Thanks for the reminder...and no I never pay much for my kids clothes...and they all start to pay for their own by age 16!

Hope you enjoyed a little relief from the 100 plus today...we danced outside in the 95 degrees with the rain cloud over...no rain.

Amy Lynn said...

Oh, Angela. A hole? How terrible--and that was back when having holes in your jeans wasn't cool. But it sounds like you learned the lesson more quickly than I did. Janette--hilarious about what you paid for jeans then vs. now. I had a TWELVE-HOUR day today at work. But even though we were cooped up inside, we saw the rain clouds through the window. I prayed they would bring a little shower. Not yet, but I'm still praying for it.