home about faith links contact me

Friday, August 12, 2011

5-minute Friday: "Beauty"

I'm linking up with The Gypsy Mama today for some 5-minute Friday fun!

GO!

It's the one thing every woman wants to be, and it starts when we are toddlers playing dress-up and wanting our mamas to put lipstick on us, too ... wanting our grandmas to let us wear their jewelry or have a squirt of their perfume.

The desire for it takes over during the school years as we learn that the only way to be beautiful is to look like everyone else. If we don't have the right things to wear, then we are ugly. But we don't understand at the time that the doing without is making us prettier on the inside.

And after we're grown, we look back on the girls we thought were the most beautiful, and as we remember their faces, we know that the pain those pretty girls caused us really only made them ugly rather than pretty, and we shake our heads at the irony.

Then as adults who routinely fall short, we've come to know that no matter what we do, say, or look like, our Creator still sees us as beautiful. And by the time the mirror betrays us and begins to show us wrinkles and other things we don't want to see, we've learned that the only real way to let others know we're beautiful is to let them see Jesus in us.

Because the people who radiate His love are the most beautiful people on earth.

STOP.





14 comments:

Serena said...

Lovely thoughts expressed here. Very true. It is my prayer to be more like the Lord and to see him in others.

Melissa said...

Well said. It is a big thing to know that we are beautiful because we are designed by God

Beth in NC said...

So true Amy! It does start out as children. The image of the Princesses are what we aspire to be. I'm thankful that we are ALL made in His image and one day we will fathom what that truly means.

Blessings!
Beth

Danielle said...

Amen! The only beauty in us is Christ!!!

Melanie Eccles said...

a lovely post! so true!

Anonymous said...

Simple, straight forward, amazing.

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Absolutely...the people who radiate beauty are the ones who Glow from His presence....may I be one of those beauties!

I hope you enjoyed the little drop in temp...we enjoyed it!

Amy Sullivan said...

Amy, yes, yes, yes!

I can think of people in my life today who radiate beauty, my best friend from college, another friend's mother.

So glad to discover you through the link-up!

Unknown said...

Jesus in us, the hope of glory! I can't imagine how beautiful that will be, when his glory is revealed. It's such a huge thought, that we're not ready to embrace deep, heart beauty when we're young and beautiful, but as time mars physical beauty inner beauty is more prized. Hmmm.

Hope Wilbanks said...

(visiting via Gypsy Mama)

That last line says it all, Amy. Perfectly. ;)

Pattyann said...

So, so true. Love this today.

BARBIE said...

Your blog is a breath of the spirit of God in my life. So thankful I found you! And your words are so true. Christ in me the hope of glory!!!

Kerri said...

I love the last line...I pray that I can radiate Jesus, so others may see His beauty in and through me!!

Jennifer in OR said...

Loved this!