home about faith links contact me

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Let me be a tree...


Oh, how I love a big, beautiful tree.

I had lots of trees growing up. My father loves them, too, and he always made sure we had plenty of trees in our yard. If we moved into a house that didn't have enough trees, he would hire big trucks to haul them in and plant them. One time he bought a new tree for each of us, and we even got to name it. Mine was named Albert.

Now I live in a new-ish neighborhood that lacks mature vegetation, and I am missing the trees.

I have one lone tree in my yard--a young live oak. It seems healthy enough, but it's sensitive to the heat, and I have to water it often. It's fighting to grow and become stronger, but sometimes it struggles.

I am like that tree.

But I have hope, because I know that one day the little tree that grows in my yard will mature into an inviting presence to grace the outside of my home. It will stand tall and its roots will go deep. Its branches will be hearty after years of pruning. It will be strong enough for children to climb and sturdy enough to withstand dangerous winds and bad weather. Some day it will bear fruit, and its acorns will feed squirrels and birds and provide seed for new life. Its presence will draw people into the protection of its shade. It will be solid. It will be a tree mature enough to endure all seasons.

I hope to grow into this kind of tree. But like the little tree outside, I have a long way to go. I try to do well, but the heat gets to me. I need quite a bit of attention from my Caretaker. I also need a lot of pruning, and I'm sure I must require Him to work extra hard to rid me of the lifeless, unfruitful parts of my heart. Even though I might bear fruit, it's not as much as I'd like. My roots don't go all that deep yet; I stay very thirsty. I'm too weak to do a good job of standing tall in storms. In fact, oftentimes I bend in the wind, almost to the breaking point. I have a lot of maturing to do yet.

But I know He is doing a work in me. May He continue to prune me, even though it hurts. I want to be deeply rooted and strong enough to endure through every season, no matter what life hurls at me. I want to bear fruit so that others may see Jesus in me. I want to live a holy life that compels others to do the same. Just as an old oak tree draws us to its shade, I pray that I might be the kind of example that draws others into His presence. May He use me to plant seeds in the hearts of others that will bring forth a bountiful harvest of souls for His kingdom.

He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper. Psalm 1:3

Lord, grow me into this kind of tree....

2 comments:

Gloria said...

Amy,

I love the analogy of the big and mighty oak. May God continue to prune us all and help us on our journey as we mature into what he has designed us to become.

Continue being a blessing :-)

Amy Lynn said...

Thank you so much, Gloria!