home about faith links contact me

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

No, it does NOT smell like sunscreen...

It was one of those rare times when I had a few hours to myself and was able to meander in and out of fun little shops at random. I found some expensive lotion that I really loved, but I didn't want to pay the price for it. So being the cheap-wad that I am, I decided to go home and look for a discount online ...

A few evenings later, I was beside myself as I tore into my package, just dying to get my hands on my brand new, high-fallutin' lotion. I couldn't wait to smell it! I ripped off the plastic and started slathering....I felt like I would never tire of inhaling the aroma! In all my rapture, I even considered abandoning my perfume-wearing habit to make this luxurious lotion my new signature scent....

After a bit more delightful sniffing, I went in to kiss my younger son goodnight. I hugged him and told him I loved him. And he said, "I love you, too ... but Mom? Why do you have on sunscreen?".

Sunscreen.

Sunscreen. I couldn't believe it. My beautiful new lotion. The nicest, most expensive lotion I've ever had, and he thought it smelled like sunscreen! It did NOT smell like sunscreen. It really didn't! It smelled delicious!

What a disappointment. But life is like that sometimes. We have our own ideas and expectations of how things are supposed to be, and so often it just doesn't turn out the way we thought it would. And it usually involves something much more life-altering than the smell of fancy new lotion. Maybe we didn't get that job we were hoping for ... or someone we love dies ... or the house doesn't sell in time to save our credit ... or our marriage fails ... or a child wanders off course ... or tragedy strikes and changes our lives forever ....

The only thing to do in the midst of disappointment is run to the One Who does not disappoint. Look to His promises. His word is living and active, and it applies to us today, no matter what's happening in our lives. It's amazing how He speaks to us through His word, in all situations.

People disappoint. Circumstances disappoint. But our Heavenly Father never, ever disappoints. We may feel disappointed in Him at times, but it's because we don't trust Him, or we become impatient. But the truth is, He will never fail us. Nothing is certain in this life except Him. He is real, He is solid, He never moves, He never changes. He loves us and has only His very best in mind for us.

Trust Him. He's worth waiting for. He knows what He's doing, and He will not disappoint.
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! Romans 11:33 

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I really enjoyed your post and yes it is true: "We have our own ideas and expectations of how things are supposed to be, and so often it just doesn't turn out the way we thought it would."

God is working on me regarding trust(not enough in him) and my self dependence, so I needed to read/hear this today.

thanks

Amy Lynn said...

Thank you, Gloria! I tend to depend on myself, too, and I find that I am not very dependable... Praying for you, right now.