home about faith links contact me

Saturday, June 11, 2011

I will not sulk

I'm surrounded by people, yet I am lonely.

It seems crazy that someone like me could be lonely. I have a house full of kids to keep me company ... an extended family eagerly waiting for a call or a visit ... a whole host of friends who'd love to go out for coffee ... even a couple of codependent dogs who aren't happy unless they are snuggled up to somebody.

I feel so deeply for all lonely souls who truly don't have anyone to spend time with ... those who've never been part of a fellowship of believers ... shut-ins who can no longer get out in the world and interact with others ... hurting hearts who feel that no one loves them ... nursing home residents long forgotten by their families ....

Then I think of how blessed I am and feel like such a baby for whining about being lonely. But sometimes the things that happen to us can put is in a very lonely spot. Our circumstances isolate us, and it's way too easy to pout about it---especially when the enemy torments us with lies that "no one understands" or "no one cares". But to dwell here is dangerous because loneliness often leads to the trap of focusing on self.

I wonder how different my life would be if, every time I felt lonely, I would take it as my cue to run to my Father, in Whom I find assurance that I am never alone? What if, instead of dwelling on all that's happened to put me in this lonely place, I would grab my Bible and meditate on the promises of His love and His constant presence in my life? What if, rather than sulking, I chose to thank Him for everything under the sun? What if, rather than complaining to Him, I chose to adore Him, to devote myself to Him completely, to exalt Him to the heights He deserves? What if, instead of pouting, I simply worshiped Him?

This requires discipline because the last thing I want to do when I'm down and depressed is worship. But when I can bring myself to do so, I know I won't stay down for long because as His word promises, He inhabits the praises of His people.

Paul and Silas exemplified this in Acts 16. Beaten and in chains, those two must have felt intensely alone in their circumstances. But instead of wallowing, they sang hymns of praise to their God, loudly enough for the other prisoners to hear. I clearly need to hear as well. God inhabited their praises as He is so faithful to do, even today. Once they responded with praise, He moved and caused an earthquake that released them from their chains. Amazing! I wonder how things would have turned out if Paul and Silas had pouted and sulked, the way I tend to do. What a lesson.

This week all four of my kids are out of town, and so far I've done quite a lot of wallowing. But I'm done with that. I'm finally viewing this alone-time as my opportunity to draw near to Him, to spend time with Him, to thank Him, and to worship Him. What a privilege!

So, no more sulking.
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him and bless His name. Psalm 100:4
Lord, when I find myself feeling lonely in my circumstances, give me the strength and the discipline to praise You instead of wallowing. Help me make the most of my time alone; help me think to spend it with You ....

4 comments:

Theresa D said...

THANK YOU for your faithfulness to share your love for the Lord! This reading ministered to 'my lonely' heart...(deep breathe) no more sulking here. :)

Amy Lynn said...

Awesome! That's a praise:)

Amy McCollister said...

I know where you're coming from, being in a crowd of people, yet feel lonely. I grew up in a family of 5 kids, didn't have my own room so there was always someone around, and yet I was always lonely. I too am going to make it my goal that when these times of feeling "lost in the midst of the shuffle" -- as I've started to phrase it -- that I run to the One who is always there and seek His heart.

Amy Lynn said...

Amen! "...seek His heart." I LOVE that.