Once in awhile, God grants us the precious opportunity to witness His awesome power at work in a literal sense before our eyes.
For me one of these times was during a sermon at my old church. My pastor was the victim of an extremely aggressive form of lymphoma, and his illness required him to endure treatments that all but killed him. But the faithful shepherd that he was, he had pledged to his congregation and to his God that he would be there to preach every single Sunday he found it humanly possible to do so.
One Sunday morning, though, he was almost too weak to walk to the stool waiting for him at the pulpit. But he managed and perched there at his usual spot. He began to speak, his voice barely above a whisper. Crying weakly, he opened with prayer. I clearly remember his desperate plea for the Lord to help him. He simply did not have the strength to accomplish what he wanted so badly to do.
But he persisted in prayer, and his voice began to grow stronger. Then, as he started preaching, the anointing came in. His voice became like normal. His presence was commanding. His words pierced my heart. It wasn't long before he was standing and pacing the platform, the way he always did. Tears flowed among the people.
The Lord did a mighty work that day, and my pastor preached one of the most amazing messages I've ever heard. I had the honor of witnessing the power of God literally at work in front of me, moving in the lives of a devoted servant and his congregation. God showed up that day, and it's a precious memory I'll always cherish.
Yesterday I read Heaven is for Real. So many things continue to swirl in my mind today, but I can't quit thinking about chapter 23, "Power from Above". I'm still in awe after reading what Colton tells his mother Sonja about God's power. They were about to pray for Colton's father Todd, a pastor, that he would deliver a good message in church that week...
Colton: "I've seen power shot down to Daddy."
Sonja: "What do you mean, Colton?"
Colton: "Jesus shoots power down for Daddy when he's talking."
Sonja: "Okay ... when? Like when Daddy talks at church?"
Colton: "Yeah, at church. When he's telling Bible stories to people."
Later, Todd asks him about this Power from above.
Todd: "... Can you you tell me what you were telling Mommy about ... about Jesus shooting down power? What's the power like?"
Of Colton's memory, Todd writes:
Every Sunday morning before I give the sermon, I pray a similar prayer: "God, if you don't help this morning, this message is going to fail." In light of Colton's words, I realized I had been praying without really knowing what I was praying for. And to imagine God answering it by "shooting down power" ... well, it was just incredible. (126)
Like most Christians, I know what it's like to need the power of God behind me when I set out to do something I'm not prepared for. It's a scary thing to open my mouth to speak to someone who needs comfort or ministry, only to find that no words will come.
But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. 1 John 2:27 NKJV
I thank God that when I am too weak or ignorant to be any good on my own, I can trust the Holy Spirit for His anointing, whether I'm speaking, teaching, worshiping, or simply ministering to a friend. Even greater, I have the assurance that He actually hears and responds to my cries. He empowers me to fulfill His calling on my life.














2 comments:
Amy,
Once again your words ministered to me. I have said many times how I depend on God but not until recently am I really learning the meaning of that.
Through recently starting a blog as I felt impressed by God to do am I now being forced to depend on him for what is posted. He is teaching me many things on this new journey.
Thank you for sharing, it was a blessing to me.
As I have shared a few times, every time I post something here, I feel like I could throw up! But I never post until God has laid something on my heart, so I know why I get nauseous. We have to persist. Not everything we write is for everyone, every day. That's what I've come to understand. So let's keep on! Thank you for encouraging me in this!
Post a Comment