home about faith links contact me

Friday, April 22, 2011

True sacrifice

John 12:3 Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.

I've been thinking about Jesus's time spent at Bethany before His death on the cross. I'm thinking of Mary and the very costly alabaster flask of oil. And I'm thinking about the extravagance with which she poured out her love for her Savior as she anointed Him for burial. She was reprimanded by others in the room for such a costly gesture, but loving Him was all that mattered to her.

Meditating on this scene leads me to some much-needed self-examination. How well do I show Jesus that I love Him? Would I be willing to give up as much as Mary did? I would love to think so, but I admit with regret that I fall painfully short. If I am honest, loving Him in this day and time doesn't cost me much of anything. I might faithfully pay my tithes and offerings, I might give to those in need, and I might give of my time and talents, but my sacrifice seems so insignificant when compared to Mary's.

It's so easy to say "I love Jesus". But on this Good Friday morning, I wonder how I can best live those words. It's not possible this side of Heaven for me to anoint Him the way Mary did. And He doesn't need my money (although I feel it's very important to give back to Him a portion of what He has given me).

Perhaps I can best show my love to Him by presenting myself each day as a living sacrifice to Him. Perhaps I could please Him most by allowing Him to refine me and purify me and make me holy. Perhaps it would matter most to Him if I were to apply His teachings to my life and let Him mold me into His image. Perhaps He simply wants me to share the good news of the gift of His salvation with a lost and dying world. For me, all of this is true sacrifice because none of it is easy. People might not understand. I might become known as a Jesus freak. I have to be careful not to draw attention. I can't just go around proclaiming that "I love Jesus"...

...or can I? I don't want to care anymore what others think. Mary didn't.

So...again I find myself praying Lord, make me a Mary. Help me abandon my worries over what others think. Help me understand what true sacrifice means, and help me make this application to my life every single day so that I may love You more completely. Help me never to take You for granted, and please accept my grossly inadequate thankYou for all You did for me at the cross.You were the Ultimate Sacrifice, and You are the One True Example of what it really means to love. 

No comments: