Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
I’m a dweller. I tend to over-analyze everything. I dwell on what has happened in the past, what should have happened but didn’t, what might happen in the future, what is happening now, and even what should be happening now but isn’t. I’m sure you get the ridiculous picture. But the fact is that I’m really not in control of anything. Life happens, and my circumstances overwhelm me--and I begin to dwell, usually on the negatives. I obsess, I stress, I lose my temper, I cry, I throw fits--and life just becomes one big stormy mess. The winds rage and the waters swirl around me, rising higher and overtaking me. And the more I focus on what’s going on around me, the louder and scarier and more threatening the storm becomes.
But if I can just get still and quiet enough to listen, the Holy Spirit reminds me that my focus is off. He shows me that I can have His peace if only I will take my eyes off of the storm and look toward the center and upward and focus on my Savior rather than my circumstances. I can choose what to dwell on. I can choose to think about good things--things that are pure and lovely, things that are noble and just and of virtue. I can choose to dwell on the blessings in my life, and there are too many of them to count. I can actively begin to praise Him for taking care of me, thanking Him in faith that He is going to rescue me and shield me from the storms of life. His peace is there for me to receive, and I’m crazy to choose to dwell on my circumstances rather than dwelling on my Jesus. When I keep my eyes on Jesus, nothing else matters, and I can rest in Him and trust in His sovereign hand at work in my life.
Back during my earliest stages of mourning, at times I was so wracked with grief that it became a physical issue. Sometimes I literally felt a "pressing in" on my chest to the point where I found it difficult to breathe. It happened a lot when I was alone and driving. I remember feeling like I was drowning, and I would have to gasp for air. I learned in these moments to listen to and dwell on the words to “I Need Thee Every Hour”. I’m sure I must’ve listened to that old hymn a thousand times by now. But the Lord used those words to teach me just how desperately I need Him--that He is sufficient for me even when I feel I've lost everything.
There are certain things I can’t allow myself to dwell on anymore; certain memories are just too painful. But through it all I’ve learned that sometimes there’s really nothing else to do but turn my eyes to Him and just dwell there. It's amazing how He calms the storms in my life. The truth is that when I'm willing to keep my eyes on Him, my terrible circumstances suddenly don't seem all that terrible anymore. He helps me know where to dwell, keeping me focused so that I can meditate on all that’s good in my life—and that makes all the difference.
I Need Thee Every Hour
I need Thee every hour, most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine can peace afford.
Refrain:
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior,
I come to Thee.
I need Thee every hour, stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their pow’r when Thou art nigh.
I need Thee every hour, in joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide, or life is vain.
I need Thee every hour; teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises in me fulfill.
I need Thee every hour, most Holy One;
Oh, make me Thine indeed, Thou blessed Son.
~Annie S. Hawks, 1872 (Public Domain)














No comments:
Post a Comment