home about faith links contact me

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Peace, be still

Thunderstorms scare me to death. They always have, from the time I was little. I used to wake up in the night during storms as a child and run to my parents' room to crawl in bed with them. They had a big bay window that made the lightning look even scarier. Still, it was better than being alone.

I hadn't thought about my old habit of doing that for a very long time. But then one night around two years ago, I found myself sleeping between my parents again. I felt like a child that night in my thirty-seven-year-old body. This was a very different type of storm, much more severe than any I had weathered before---one that made me doubt I would ever see clear skies again. I had tried to rest that night, but sleep eluded me. When my dad heard me still up, he took me and put me in his spot in the bed with my mother, and then he slept in his chair right next to me. I relaxed a little being between them like that, but still I knew this storm was indeed a terrible one, and it wasn't going to blow away for quite some time.

With all the recent storms in our North Texas area, I've thought a lot lately about that scenario. I have wonderful parents, but despite their burning desire to fix all that was wrong in my life, there was very little they could do. The bigger storms of life call for an even bigger God, and I'm thankful I have my God Almighty to help me weather those tumultuous times that are just too horrific to endure alone.

I've also thought lately about another huge storm that occurred a couple of weeks following the night I've just described. Grief-stricken over the recent events in my life, I was on my way to visit a new church. I didn't feel like going, but a friend had invited me and had said that her pastor and some others wanted to pray for me. Not wanting to refuse prayer at a time like this, I forged ahead and determined to go in spite of some impending bad weather. Little did I know that God had big plans for our family regarding our future in this church. And it was all to begin on this night. No wonder a storm was brewing.

The heavy winds and rain were already blowing in as I arrived, and I ran into the sanctuary soaked and freezing. By the time the service began, it was pouring rain and thundering more loudly than I had ever heard before. I was absolutely terrified, and I remember thinking Why on earth is this storm scaring me so badly after all I've just been through? I don't understand what's wrong with me! But in the midst of all the distraction of that storm, the congregation began to worship. And then the Holy Spirit fell---and my fear left immediately. Suddenly I didn't care about the thunder anymore. I didn't care about the strong winds or the heavy rains. I just wanted to savor the presence of the Lord because in that place and on that night, in the midst of the turmoil both outdoors and in my heart, He brought peace to His wounded child. He surrounded me, He fell upon me, He filled me. Peace, be still. I'll never forget what His peace felt like in that moment; it was indescribable. He was helping me learn to run into the shelter of His presence when the downpour got to be more than I could bear.


Mar 4:39  He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still!" And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.

Just when I think my skies are clear, and just when I begin to take fair weather for granted, those pesky clouds blow in again. More often than I'd like, it storms. The conditions vary greatly in severity, but no matter whether the clouds bring a light shower or a raging tempest, I know where I can find Peace.


Mar 4:41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, "Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!"

I'm thankful I don't have to ask "Who can this be?". I know exactly Who He is. He is my Shelter, my Strong Tower, the Calmer of My Storms. When my soul is in turmoil, He cares more than I could ever comprehend. He is faithful to rescue me from the pandemonium. Miracles happen when He speaks words of peace over me.

I still don't like storms. However, I have come to appreciate them because they allow me the privilege of experiencing His wondrous peace in the midst of chaos. As unpleasant as they are, I do not have to be afraid of storms. Peace, be still.

No comments: