home about faith links contact me

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Do you have the "write" degree?

I dedicate this post to a friend of mine (you know who you are...). It's kind of funny. My friend and I are both writers, and we are also both musicians. I was an English major, and she was a music major.
My friend is a great writer, but she's not crazy about letting me read what she writes. She always points out that I'm the one with the degree in English...that I'm the one who knows about clauses....that I'm the one who understands active/passive voice...etc., etc., etc.

I understand how she feels. It took me a while to get the guts up to play in front of her. It can be intimidating playing in front of someone with a music degree when you've never had formal musical training. But she's always said that it doesn't matter. I protest because of all I don't know. I don't always follow the rules of musicianship...I don't know how to stack chords...I never studied music theory...etc., etc., etc. Sometimes I just feel inadequate around professional musicians.

Likewise, I suppose she feels intimidated letting me read her writings because she doesn't have the same training I have (which is kind of comical since I earned most of my degree reading Masterplots summaries and Cliff's Notes rather than studying the actual works themselves).

The fact is, our education doesn't always necessarily match up with our calling. My friend is a writer without an English degree. I'm a musician without a music degree. But you know what? The Holy Spirit anoints my music anyway. He anoints her writing anyway. He equips us and empowers us to do what He's called us to do. All it takes is for us to humble ourselves and then say "Use me, Lord".

Who cares if we don't have a clue what transformational generative grammar is? Who cares if we can't explain why the world needs something called the circle of fifths? I'll just keep on abusing ellipses and playing strange chord progressions as He leads me. I'll trust Him and keep my heart open to new possibilities. I invite Him to do with me as he pleases. The Lord doesn't care what degree I have. My incompetence is His competence. His strength is made perfect in my weakness. Pretty cool, when you think about it. He's a pretty awesome God. :)
So he answered and said to me: "This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the Lord of Hosts. 
- Zechariah 4:6 NKJV

13 comments:

ellen stevens said...

i absolutely love this. i do know what the circle of fifths is, and I've at times I believe I've had transformational DEgenerative grammar... but none of that is as empowering as God's gentle nudge to just keep writing. And playing. And creating. And worshipping through the art of creating.

Amy Lynn said...

"DEgenerative grammar" ... so funny!! And you are absolutely correct! I love this!! Hugs...

Lisa Johnson said...

Thank you Amy! This is an area of my life that I too have stuggled with. My gifts and talents aren't that of the typical speaker/writer. I've spent too long arguing with God about whether I am good enough or not! You're timing is great and your heart and message are even better! Thanks for sharing!

Amy Lynn said...

Thank you, Lisa! I think we all struggle with this, seriously!

Shelly said...

Amen! Good word, Amy...thanks for encouraging today :)

Amy Lynn said...

Thank you, Shelly! So glad I found your blog...and thank you for your post today!

Mining for Diamonds said...

Ha ha! I loved this! I have a degree in Violin Performance. It's weird transitioning to "writer" but they really aren't that much different. You might enjoy this post I did last month about how these two worlds actually overlap!

http://mining4diamonds.blogspot.com/2011/06/9-ways-being-writer-is-like-being.html

You are right, it all boils down to God's calling...He equips who He calls! I've known some awesome musicians with no degree (my hubby is one)so I imagine that there are some awesome writers with no degree too!

Amy Lynn said...

I read your post and really enjoyed it! It's good to meet another writer/musician!

Gloria said...

Amy,

Perfect timing again! Since I consider myself to be new to blogging and have a degree in Information Technology (computers) but love to journal for myself - I had to ask God are you sure you want me to do a blog??????

So, I read this post and laughed. I have to trust that God does in fact know what He is doing!!!

The post and comments are a source of encouragement. Thanks

Amy Lynn said...

Gloria, that's awesome! I thought you had an English degree...:)

Anonymous said...

Loved hearing this special word as so many of us head to She Speaks! There is a plaque that is on my desk that says..."God doesn't call the qualified...he qualifies the called!!! Thanks Amy for this timely word!

Amy Lynn said...

Thank you, Amy! Hope to meet you next week!!

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

Amen and Amen...wonderful reminder...the enemy tells us we aren't qualified for the calling God has given us, and God has given it to us knowing we aren't qualified because He is and through Him we are able, least we boast.

Degrees....oh my, don't have one and yet somehow I have survived...because God supplied