Just two more sleeps ... and then early Friday morning I'm bound for North Carolina. I'm attending courses on the writers' track of She Speaks, and I'm also meeting with an agent and a publisher on Friday to pitch my book. In the past week, I've learned that writing a nonfiction book proposal hurts more than writing an actual book.In fact, these past two days have been filled with all sorts of pain. In addition to nearly cutting my finger off on a shard of broken flower pot, I took my second chapter to my critique group last night. I didn't expect to be rewriting anything this late in the game, but I was so thrilled with their suggestions that time suddenly didn't matter all that much. I couldn't wait to change things up and make them better.
So, sporting my Strawberry Shortcake Band-aid, my fingers flew over the keys almost all day long--and I'm much happier now with what I'm taking with me to North Carolina. Someone said once that writing a book is like having a baby elephant, only a book hurts worse. I think they were right.
My final surge of pain came tonight when I got a migraine after sending my query, proposal, and sample chapters to a friend for editing. I'd let a few others read it already, but not anybody I have to face on a regular basis (at least not during the summertime).I'm praying for God's will in the publishing process. At the very least, it's been good for me to be writing something. And also at the very least, even if nothing comes of my publisher appointments this Friday, I'll get to go on a girl trip and attend a great conference, in a place where God is sure to show up. :)
Say a little prayer for me?
Lately my mind keeps wandering back to my life's scripture, Psalm 40:1-3:
I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth--praise to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord.
I would love to be published, but what matters above all else is that He has rescued me and established my steps, and nowadays I really do sing a new song. I pray that many will indeed "see it and fear, and will trust in the Lord." So whether He accomplishes His purpose in me through a blog or a book or by word-of-mouth, I know He knows best, and I am in Good Hands. :)













7 comments:
Amy,
Have a most wonderful trip on your "new" adventure into the publishing arena. We all pray that God guides your steps and gives divine appointments.
I am sure you will learn much this weekend.
Have fun.
No telling what the weekend holds!! Thank you so much for your prayers!
Amy, We've been traveling all over the place, but I'm finally back home and am catching up on what's happening in your life. How EXCITING that you are in North Carolina this weekend and getting to pitch for the first time! Considering your last sentence, I think your heart is in the perfect place to accomplish His purposes...however He does it. I can't wait to hear more on your travels. And as always, I love reading your blog! <3 ~Shaye
Thank you, Shaye! Thankful for safe travels!! <3
Amy, I'm really glad you've joined The High Calling. It was fun to hear about your She Speaks experience--I've always wanted to go and haven't been able to you. I'm one of the welcome editors at THC and wanted to offer my support and perspective as you try to get published. I love writing and just signed my 5th book contract with Kregel. Good luck and Godspeed on your writing journey! I hope to get to know you better as you participate in our network.
Dena, I'm so honored to have you stop by! THANK YOU for your offer of support ... can't wait to get to know you and THC better. Congratulations on your fifth contract! That's awesome!! I hope you get to go to She Speaks next year. Simply amazing!
It's a wonderfully encouraging community. I'm glad you're a part of it now. And thanks for your kind words. Especially in this economy, with publishers being skittish, I'm grateful for a chance to fulfill another contract. :)
Post a Comment