A friend of mine has the coolest mom. She's a mess! She's hilarious, wise, and down-to-earth, she often shocks you with what she says, and she is an amazing prayer warrior. She's a very unique package, indeed, and her name is Dannie Belle.
When I needed to send my older daughter off on a two-hour road trip for the first time several months ago, I was worried to death, so Dannie Belle advised me to pray over her, pray over her car, send the Holy Spirit ahead of her, then just let her go. So that's what I've done on every road trip since then, and so far I've managed to stay sane--and my daughter has remained safe.
We learn how to be good mothers in all sorts of ways...by watching our own mothers and grandmothers and aunts, and by watching our friends as they raise their own children alongside us. But I've also learned how to be a better mother just by hearing my friend talk about her memories of growing up as the daughter of Dannie Belle.
My friend tells of a time when she walked in and told her mom she hated her. Dannie Belle simply and matter-of-factly replied, "I know, but you'll get over it".
I want to be that kind of mother. The kind of mother my kids can say anything to. My younger daughter recently had something on her mind that she needed to say to me that was very, very hard for me to hear. She knew it would hurt me, but she needed to get it out. My friend shared that "I-hate-you" memory of Dannie Belle with me, and it made it all a little easier to bear. I want my kids to be comfortable saying anything to me.
I want to be like Dannie Belle.
Later I was thinking...isn't that how the Lord is with us? We can say anything to Him. Anything. We may as well share our hearts with Him because He already knows what we're thinking.
...for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts.... 1 Chronicles 28:9
He sees inside of me and knows the good and bad, and He loves me anyway. I want to be that way with my kids, but He's far more perfect at it than I. He's the ultimate Good Listener, and He loves me unconditionally.
I want to be like Him.
Lord, help me to remember that You already know what's in my heart. And even though I forget You, You remain constantly waiting to converse with me. Help me remember that I can come to You at all times with my concerns, complaints, worries, and fears. Thank You that You listen to everything I have to say, good and bad, and thank You for loving me anyway.
Monday, May 30, 2011
Say ANYTHING?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment